Resolving Family Matters without Going to Court
25 – 29 November 2013 marks Resolution’s second Family Dispute Resolution Week. This annual event aims to raise awareness of alternatives to court.
At MacDonald Oates, we recognise the importance of resolving family disputes in a conciliatory way for the benefit of the whole family, particularly any children.
All solicitors in the Family Department at MacDonald Oates LLP are members of Resolution. This involves a commitment to the following:
- To conduct matters in a constructive and non-confrontational way
- To avoid use of inflammatory language
- To retain professional objectivity and respect for everyone involved
- To take into account the long term consequences of actions and communications as well as the short term implications
- To encourage clients to put the best interests of the children first
- To emphasise to clients the importance of being open and honest in all dealings
- To make clients aware of the benefits of behaving in a civilised way
- To keep financial and children issues separate
- To ensure that consideration is given to balancing the benefits of any steps against the likely costs – financial or emotional
- To inform clients of the options available to them
There is a great deal of information about alternatives to court within the “Services For Individuals” – “Family Law” section of our website. Further information can also be found on Resolution’s website (http://www.resolution.org.uk/) and in particular in Resolution’s Separating Together leaflet (www.resolution.org.uk/separatingtogether) which has been updated specially to coincide with Family Dispute Resolution Week.
We offer a full range of family law services at MacDonald Oates LLP and our Family Team includes qualified Collaborative Lawyers, Arbitrators and a Mediator.
Please contact Felicity Chapman or another member of the Family Department if you would like further information.